Thursday, June 4, 2009

Letting go and Getting back

Children are certainly a blessing from above. They are meant to be cherished, enjoyed, treasured...but not clung too or grasped too closely. A gift from God, my children enlarge my life by increasing its border. They introduce us to new friends, new avenues of service, new areas of the world.

Now my oldest child is getting married. He is an adult and he has introduced us to a lovely young lady who will soon be a part of our family too. In a sense, her family will become part of our lives too. Even as we realize that he will become a part of another family, we welcome Joy into our family and are excited about having another person in the clan.

But it is not just through marriage that our family grows. It is also through their contacts and experiences that push our borders outward. We picked up our daughter from the airport on Wednesday as she returned from China for her brother's wedding. The country of China now seems partly "home" to us too even though we have never visited. Through her shared experiences, however, our hearts are opened to a larger world.

So it is in giving and letting go of our children that our hearts are filled with many unexpected and wonderful blessings in return....an oxymoron...letting go and thereby receiving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Both families let go and receive a blessing.

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.