Sunday, July 26, 2009

Music in the Park

There is nothing more small town USA than a carnival or a summer activity in the town park. Such was the occasion yesterday here in our town. There were not many people present partly because of the long list of alternative activities also planned for the weekend. A huge stage with wonderful sound system was set up for the preplanned local talent. One of the groups who played music on the bass, violin, piano, and flute, was so overwhelming wonderful. It was music one could expect to hear at the fanciest of dinner parties in high society. Here we could relax, sitting in the shade of the large trees while sipping on a latte from a vendor on site. One elderly gentleman sprawled on the grass while napping. (When I discovered he was 90 years old, I decided that he had every right to do just that - plus, it reminded me of my dad who would do the same thing if he was there). Families sat together in groups passing babies from lap to lap. Children frolicked on the play equipment while grandparents watched. Folks visited with the music lofting in the background. There were a few vendor booths with temporary tattoos and necklaces for sale.

Enjoying the afternoon, my husband and I biked to the festival, ate lots of great food (even a flat bread pizza and large special "K" bar, and then returned home to enjoy the rest of the day with our youngest son.

Small towns ... where everyone knows your name and where you can stretch out on the grass for an afternoon nap while listening to the neighborhood sing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who could ask for anything more?

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.