Monday, August 3, 2009

Perspectives on life from the Windy City

A trip to Chicago with my husband and our youngest son where we see and experience exhibits that change our perspectives on life. Who would guess that a display of a cow and her regular functions would make it into the museum of Science and Industry? An entire display demonstrated life on the farm.
Tall version of myself ... worth taking a picture

We stand in the glass boxes at the top of the Sears Tower, 110 stories up ... we can see the ground beneath our feet

How's my hair? The wall of mirrors reflects many more of me ...

When we are pushed out of our comfort zone, our senses our heightened; our sense of smell, touch, sight, and even taste experience different horizons. Feeling uncomfortable keeps us slightly on edge, conscious of every texture and movement. What do is the most memorable event for you? It usually is not the routine, mundane activity of every day but rather the unusual, the out of the ordinary.

I live in a town where there is not even one traffic light. Parking far away from the store would mean just across the street. Today I rode in a train, boat, taxi, water taxi and watched commuters travel to and from their jobs in the city back out to the suburbs in a time in which I could easily travel to the nearest city and begin my shopping spree.

I saw buildings that, if laid on their side, would exceed the width of our town and house more people than our entire town.

Cars, vehicles crowded the streets and drove with a passion that hardly allowed an unfamiliar driver a chance to change lanes or study the area for a possible restaurant choice.

What was the same was people. Just more numerous by far than I see in...a year perhaps. I could feel sympathy for their commute, the time consumed by transportation and the headaches from rushing to meet more than just the deadlines at work and home but those involved in making sure they reached the doors of the commuter train before they closed.

It is in getting pushed that we can appreciate the little things that make up our own community. Things I often take for granted and in fact, may even grumble about on occasion now seem pretty special. Isn't it interesting on how our perspective changes depending on our view. Keep posted on more details from our two wonderful days in this trip to Chicago.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Looks like you had a fun trip! I especially like your mirror comments. :)

Unknown said...

From the evidence in your self portraits, it appears that your perception has expanded. Joyce says, "No way," to the box on the top of the Sears Building.

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.