Monday, June 14, 2010

Chopsticks and the proverbial “sweet spot”


We can all identify with those magical moments when all the forces of physics and our manipulative physical abilities connect resulting in the perfect drive, the ace in tennis, the homerun, the blocked shot, and on and on. Pick your passion and you know what I mean. I am not athletic, so I don’t experience it as regularly as the rest of you.

In my trip to China however, I enjoyed a few sweet spot moments when the laws of physics combined with my manipulative physical abilities perfectly in the use of the chopsticks. How great it feels when you have just the right grasp of a significant amount of noodles, and not just the lone beginner noodle falling off before it hits your bowel, or grasping a dumpling and not just spearing it heartlessly. The sweet spot makes you feel vindicated as you place it in your rice bowel, or if you are really feeling smug, it goes right in your mouth.

So that is how I have been able to identify with the sweet spot. And then I look around at all the pre-kindergarten children eating, and realize that it is second nature for them, and not just every once and awhile. dls

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.