Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where Everyone Knows Your Name


The old theme song from "Cheers" that describes the atmosphere in the community bar also describes the atmosphere in the center where my father resides. This weekend I was able to spend time with my dad again. Other families were there too visiting their parent or relatives. Even though we introduced ourselves to each other, I couldn't remember the names of the other visitors. What we all did remember, however, was the name of each of the residents. I am feeling like "Dick, Jane, and Sally" or "Sarah, Hannah, or Levi" are all a part of my family too. I could see that members of other families were also including my own dad in their conversations and encouragement.

At the center I can participate in the balloon balancing exercises or in the Uno game, leaning over to help anyone around the table. Sometimes in giving an understanding ear or a helping hand to one of the residents I forget that they aren't actually related to me.

The verses in the Old Testament that speak of God "enlarging my territory" must include all the wonderful people in the center where dad lives.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.