Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation Eve

It is day before my graduation from college. I can hardly believe it. It feels surreal. The day itself is cloudy and dreary and I feel emotions swirling within me. I realize that this is a dream I had within me that I never thought would come true. Visually, I imagine myself cresting the top of hill and I am just glimpsing the possibilities for the future. Since I live in a small town, the opportunities for more job responsibilities seem distant. I do, however, have the opportunity to apply for Graduate School at USF. Even though I have wanted to do that it the past, it was never even a remote possibility. Now, I can foresee that in the future.

There is a bit of nostalgia - a let down, if you will - My husband told me at the beginning of this educational adventure to enjoy the process as I would experience as much satisfaction from that as the "end result." He was right. The process was awesome. I learned so much. I was challenged again and again. I became acquainted with many wonderful people. I learned that there was so much I didn't know and that I have a LOT more to learn.

So, I can let go of my expectations and march into tomorrow with a free spirit knowing that there are a lot more hills to climb and many more experiences to enjoy. I am so thankful for all the people who have helped me along the way by encouraging me like my husband, my kids, my good friends and my family. Without their help, I could not have accomplished this goal.

3 comments:

Purdy Family said...

Ruth~ I just finished reading your thoughts about your graduation tomorrow. I really enjoyed it! What a wonderful accomplishment! Congratulations!! I feel your excitement, and wish you the best day ever as you march down to get your degree. We will be thinking of you! Looking forward to seeing you and your family soon! :) Love, Barb

Unknown said...

Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment. Happy hiking.

Delphia said...

Ruth
Just found your blog about 4 weeks ago. Have enjoyed looking at your pictures. Congratulations on your graduation! I've been challenged to think that maybe I shouldn't be satisfied with my status quo--maybe I should consider more schooling. What a challenge that would be! Delphia

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.