This morning my husband and I made breakfast for the seniors from our youth group. We have made this a tradition - our gift to the seniors. We were delighted when 11 out of the 12 showed up bright and early at 7 a.m. We were struck with the blessing of knowing these youth and the privilege of learning from them. They have inspired us with their energy, friendliness and willingness to participate in events.
Making breakfast for a group can be lots of work. I like to fix recipes that can be made up the evening before and baked fresh in the morning. I have an egg bake (with frozen hash browns) that the kids like. I also made an oven bake french toast. I think I will look for another replacement for that dish. (I am open to suggestions and recipes.) I also served some of homemade rolls (which I can freeze ahead) and served fruit and yogurts and sausage. Of course, breakfast wouldn't be complete without some good coffee. I have to admit - it was difficult for me to commit to breakfast this year with some of the other activities swirling around my head. I have finals coming up in a few, a graduation and reception and a family wedding besides the responsiblities of caring for my parents
I think, however, that investing in others is the greatest investment we can make. I never regret the time I have spent entertaining others. "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace...do it with the strength God provides so that in all things He may be praised" (I Pet 4:9-11) Hospitality to others can take on different "faces." Some entertain by making sure that every detail is provided. Others open their doors and welcome you into their private world by letting you "help yourself." Isn't it great that He gives each of us the opportunity for hospitality without dictating the details? I am glad He gives us the strength to do His will.
Making breakfast for a group can be lots of work. I like to fix recipes that can be made up the evening before and baked fresh in the morning. I have an egg bake (with frozen hash browns) that the kids like. I also made an oven bake french toast. I think I will look for another replacement for that dish. (I am open to suggestions and recipes.) I also served some of homemade rolls (which I can freeze ahead) and served fruit and yogurts and sausage. Of course, breakfast wouldn't be complete without some good coffee. I have to admit - it was difficult for me to commit to breakfast this year with some of the other activities swirling around my head. I have finals coming up in a few, a graduation and reception and a family wedding besides the responsiblities of caring for my parents
I think, however, that investing in others is the greatest investment we can make. I never regret the time I have spent entertaining others. "Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace...do it with the strength God provides so that in all things He may be praised" (I Pet 4:9-11) Hospitality to others can take on different "faces." Some entertain by making sure that every detail is provided. Others open their doors and welcome you into their private world by letting you "help yourself." Isn't it great that He gives each of us the opportunity for hospitality without dictating the details? I am glad He gives us the strength to do His will.

1 comment:
I have often commented to others that hospitality is a gift you guys offer generously and well. I always appreciate the opportunity to be in your home and eat the delicious food and enjoy the company! Thank you for taking the time to offer that gift to the seniors.
Post a Comment