My father does not enjoy games, sports, or working with crafts. He has spent his entire life finding purpose in working hard. As a farmer, working with the soil has represented his purpose in making a living for his family.
Finding himself secluded in a new community has challenged his level of involvement in what he considers "worthwhile." He does enjoy teaching Bible Studies, playing guitar and singing and has found an outlet for those activities in his facility.
This past week, however, he was able to rediscover purpose to life, as he has known it when he was able to help with planting some flowers. The pictures here are meaningful to me as they bring back to my mind the dad I knew as I grew up.
We all have have our personal sense of what we consider meaningful. For myself, that has changed through the years. In the past I found self worth in cleaning or canning and even cooking. Now I found little interest in those activities but would rather study or be involved in some social activity.

3 comments:
Hard work can certainly give life meaning.
Mom--I had a chance to look over all the pictures today. I'm so thankful that you went to all that hard work of uploading the pictures.
I'm also rejoicing that grandpa can have a good outlet in helping them landscape. That's an answer to prayer.
Ruth~ It must have been very difficult and sad to move your father and mother from their home and to different places. I was touched by all of the wonderful pictures! Your father seems to be in good physical shape! I'm sure all his hard work is very much appreciated by the staff! He sure knows what to do and I bet they all feel blessed to have him there. Your mother's place looks terrific. How is she doing? Moving is never easy, but it is harder when you are leaving a place where you have spend most of your life. So many memories! They are lucky to have such a wonderful daughter! :) Love, Barb
Post a Comment