
I miss mom and dad for the first time in many years. I remember how lonesome I got for them when I was young. They went on a vacation and I stayed at my cousin's home. I would cry myself to sleep at night, missing them. Then, when I went to college (only 2 hours away from home), I can remember missing home and mom and dad. I probably didn't cry for them but I certainly missed home and all the familiar routines.
Time marches on and slowly I developed my own routines. I married and had my own family. Through the years I have stayed in contact with my parents but I can't say I have really missed them or been lonesome for them. I was busy raising children, working, and trying to cover the bases here. My parents lived four hours away. If we got to see them 3 or 4 times a year, that was good. We called on occasion or they called us but we didn't communicate on a daily or even weekly basis.
These past few months I have been busy with the rest of my siblings settling mom and dad into the best environment for their needs. It has taken a couple of tries but I think they are both getting "nestled" into their new surroundings. The process has taken time, however. Time has involved spending a lot of time with them and making plans for them. In that process I have found my heart once more appreciating and loving mom and dad in a new way. Perhaps realizing afresh how much they have done for me in the past or just getting reacquainted with their person hood, has made me feel closer to them than I have felt in a long time. I am lonesome for them and anxious to spend more time with each of them.
Our devotional this morning mentioned an old men's quartet hymn, God is Waiting, in the silence, and the author wrote that his father had sung this song as a high tenor. I immediately felt a twinge of nostalgia and homesickness! Dad is a high tenor and Yes! He sang that song too! So after years of feeling grownup, I now miss Mom and Dad terribly! Wish I could tuck them both in for the night. I can't. So instead, I will do something even better. I will pray for them and ask God to watch over them through the night.

1 comment:
We read that devotional also. Joyce remembers singing with her dad when she was a child. She stood on the piano bench when they sang at church. Sometimes we read something that reminds her of a song that they sang. Norm reads so he waits while she sings a verse or so. By the way the quote from Robert Frost (April 22) is from "The Oven Bird."
Post a Comment