Saturday, January 7, 2012

Good Will Christmas

This past Christmas Season I walked meekly through the mall overwhelmed by the choices and the crowds.  Overhearing customers saying to each member, "I'm not sure what they would like!" echoed my sentiments.  So I found myself hanging out in my small rural main street rummaging through the thrift store and the new boutique. "If I buy my son a shirt for $2.50 and it doesn't work, no harm done," I mused.  Besides, it's the thought that counts and on the flip side, my purchases help go to a good cause.  So, by careful shopping and steadfast browsing, I found items for all my family including best sellers and favorite books signed up by the author that I picked up with glee.

Doesn't the song say, "Peace on earth, Good Will to men?"  Not sure that really meant thrift stores or Good Will literally but suffice it to say, it made for a Christmas with a little less nervous expectation as the kids opened their multitude of gifts!  And actually, their were several items that were a "home run" like the $2.50 Banana Republic long sleeve X-Large t-shirt and the jewelry box.  At least, the kids they seemed appreciative and I am sure they will be able to use some of the items (not any different than if I had spent money at the mall).

And while I am on the subject of Christmas, I had an epiphany about Christmas!  From Christmas Day through New Years Day, I was on the road for approximately 24 hours, in 3 different places, 2 different motels over for 4 nights.  I think I would rather stay at home and host my family.  However, in my longing to be home, I realized that Mary and Joseph must have wished they could stay at home to have their baby but no, they were traveling, on the road.  The shepherds were called from the fields by the angels to travel to Bethlehem to see the Babe.  And of course, the wise men traveled from afar.  So, I mused, why should I be so special as to enjoy the season in the comfort of home?  After all, that first Christmas, everyone traveled and left their comfort zone. Maybe that's what it's all about.

1 comment:

Drew and Rachel said...

very interesting epiphany about christmas travel!

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.