I attended a funeral today and was struck by the deliciousness and uniqueness of the lunches served at funerals. The cold sandwiches, variety of salads, and cake served with coffee and water provide a certain warmth and comradeship of family and friends that cannot be duplicated in any other setting. The family provides the meat, cheese and probably the buns but most parishes or churches donate the other items plus the workers for the event.
What will happen in the future as younger families both find themselves submerged in careers and family care without grandparents nearby to take care of the grandchildren. Will this become an opportunity for an entrepreneur to cater for the event? I was surprised today to learn that churches in larger communities such as Lincoln, Nebraska still host funeral lunches in much the same way as our small community.
It will certainly be interesting to see how this event continues throughout the next century.
Saturday, January 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Reflections
- Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.
2 comments:
Traditions are so important. Let's hope that generations to come can continue to enjoy them.
Hey there Mom, I'm not sure Lincoln, NE can qualify as a large city. But, I like your thoughts a lot. And, I love it when you blog. You're #1 fan.
Post a Comment