Sunday, October 4, 2009

Twins Memories

I just finished watching Twins Game and their win over the Royals. They are celebrating the final season in the Metro Dome. A rush of memories sweeps over me. I remember watching the World Series Game of 1991 at our friends, Lori and Ron Luke. We were all screaming and celebrating. I think that was the year of the "Homer Hanky". Yes, we have some of those in a box somewhere in the basement. I can feel the atmosphere of the dome, slightly chilly accompanied by the smell of hot dogs and brats, and with the sounds of vendors "pea nuts" echoing through the air.

Our family attended our first game at the Metro Dome in about 1992. I remember we had tickets along the 3rd base line but our seats were way up high - in the nose bleed section.
Our youngest child was young, maybe 3 years of age. I remember that the slant of the seats was steep and the the rows were close together. With the activity of any toddler plus all of the paraphernalia accompanied with keeping a young child occupied (i.e. blanket, toys, snacks), we were a bit of a nuisance to those sitting right in front of us. Our daughter got a headache, probably from the elevation of the seats and from the fact that we were "too tight" to buy the expensive food at the dome.
Waiting for the doors to open for the dome

After attending that game, we realized we could buy cheaper tickets in the outfield and actually see more of the game and increase our chances of catching a fly ball. I think we went back for a second game that same trip to the Cities.

Other games followed. We attended with friends in July of 1993, Ron and Lori Luke. After the game we waited for a long time to try and get some autographs from some of the players. We saw some of the players but were not fortunate to get an autograph. Baseball player escapes without an autograph but we caught a picture!Looking through our album I see we must have gone again that summer in August of 1993, this time with Dale's oldest brother, Delton and his wife, Vernette and their family. I am not sure where our daughter was during this times as I scan the photos and do not see here there.
The end of an era...baseball in the Metro Dome in the Cities. Looking back has made me feel happiness for the memories of parenthood and the activities that we were able to participate in to help make life special for our kids.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is hard to realize how important those times are as we experience them. Looking back is easier.

Portia said...

Ah yes, the good ol' Twin games. How could we forget. Mom--is it okay for me to say that you look 10 years younger than you did 15 years ago?
Lots of love,
Portia
P.S. I want to find another pair of tight pants like those rainbow ones I used to have.

About Me

My photo
Who Am I? I am a daugher, a sister a wife, a mother, a friend, a helper, a homemaker, an administrative assistant, a teacher, a student, I am young, I am old, How can I be all these things? Momement by moment, One day at a time.